Thursday, September 01, 2005

America at it's best

I usually shy away from posting anything of any real contributory content.. there are so many others that do that better than I. But my thoughts have been with the victims of Katrina, I can't even wrap my mind around the sight of New Orleans under water, let alone the lives swept away.

But it's times like this when I am proudest to be American, because we take care of our own in the face of disasters like this like no other. There are certainly going to be people grousing at the price of fuel, and other hikes that will arise from this, but I find it hard to complain when I think of the lives that have been devastated by this. Hardship at the pump seems so trite by comparison, and I find it a bit disturbing that it is getting almost equal coverage.

Not to say it is unimportant, but really, people of the media - (not that any of them are reading here), wake the hell up and let's concentrate on the humans first.. there is plenty of time for wailing about spilled crude later. I was listening to the radio this morning and there are people who are still in New Orleans who because of lack of phone service and less than accurate reporting are still sitting there as if this thing is going to be fixed by Monday. Even with the full financial support of the federal reserve this is going to be daunting, the frustration level is going to be force 10.

Still.. those who can will do - those who can't, kindly remember that if you are going home to your family intact and healthy you are a far cry more fortunate that many.